[Techtalk] weird networking problem

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Wed Jul 18 00:31:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 03:25:49 -0700, Maria McKinley wrote:

Hi Maria,

> I restarted networking, and the new ip worked just fine, but later the
> machine decided it would really prefer the dhcp address it use to have,

I had this happen to me once too.  If you edit /etc/network/interfaces
and change an interface from dhcp to static without taking the interface
down first, the dhcp client process isn't stopped if you subsequently
restart the interface.  When the lease expires, it will be renewed by
the dhcp client and your IP address will change.

If this is what happened to you, it's easy to fix.  Kill the dhcp
client  and restart the interface (ifdown eth1; ifup eth1).

Cheers,

John
--
`... what I'd really like to know is how to undermine the pervasive belief
 that "an ignorant manager is a good manager".'