[Techtalk] Linux game programming

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Jul 17 22:33:38 UTC 2007

hey all,

Does this make sense to you fine brainiacal coders:

>>"The games I come across are crossword puzzles, word games, etc, all written
for Windows by companies like PopCap and None of the Big names in Gaming even
get a look in.

> Go ahead and code! These things should be pretty easy to build using Python
+ PyGTK + Glade. I'd say that the biggest challenge would be getting some
decent SVG art. So spend a few hundred dollars on that (raise it, or pay it
yourself and consider it your donation to FOSS. That's what I'm going to
do)."

I want to learn to write a few games my own self. Cool fun games that have no
guns, cars, drugs, or hos, and that don't need super-duper 3D video. What do
you think would be some good tools and languages to create some fun games in?
I think Frozen-Bubble is done in Perl, and Tetris sure didn't need the DOOM
engine in its original release.

--
Carla Schroder