[Techtalk] Joomla

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Sun Jul 15 23:14:28 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 18:34 -0400, Linda de Boer wrote:
> I have Joomla installed, I understand how to change the templates once I
> have them installed and how to setup and organize the content. What I
> cannot for the life of me, wrap my head around is how I can use it to
> run more than one client site.

I've set up joomla on a couple of domains - and from what I understand
of Joomla, it's one domain only. Most CMSs do work that way (there are
others that can do things differently, but I'm not so familiar with
them.)

So, you could have one Joomla install in each client domain.

You probably could do some domain mapping and mod_rewrite to direct
domains to different content areas of Joomla, I guess - depending on how
complex you want each site to be. Others might have more info on this.

> I have an Administrator login and two others that are just publishers. I
> try logging in as one of the "users" and I don't seem to have any
> options to locally change the template and content. As far as I can tell
> I'm only able to do this via Administrator, but then it's all the same
> for both users (I have contacts attached to them too).

Generally, CMSs have different levels of users. Joomla has a lot of
categories I haven't gotten my head around - but the front end users
(Author, Editor, Publisher) have increasing levels of control over
content, and the back-end users (manager, administrator,
superadministrator) have increasing levels of control over the back end
(templates, plugins, etc.)

I'd peruse help.joomla.org for details on this stuff - I don't know the
exact permissions for each kind of user offhand.

Peace,
Michelle