[Techtalk] two ubuntu distros on one computer

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 31 09:42:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 09:37:55AM +0100, Roberta Gallini wrote:
> And another question: after the two installations, I would like to
> read some of the files in my current /home.
>
> I tried to share it, but when it asked me the name of the host to
> trust, I didn't know what to write.
>
> Is that so because I hadn't a host (not having installed the new OS)?

If you want /home (a separate partition, I assume) to be visible in both
versions of your OS, then you don't need to share it, you need to add it
to the /etc/fstab file as a partition which gets mounted on "/home".
And then you add the same line to the /etc/fstab file of the other
installation of Ubuntu.

Though I guess that Ubuntu has a nice GUI interface for that sort of
thing, and I'm not familiar enough with Ubuntu to be able to tell you
where to find the place where you add that setting.

Kathryn Andersen