[Techtalk] streaming data: financial market data

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Tue Jan 23 18:37:18 UTC 2007

Help!
Ideas and suggestions please.
I need to be able to view live streaming market index data (world
indexes). I've not been able to find anything avail. that:
(1): runs in a 'standards' compliant web browser (all so far need ms junk).
(2): is Linux native (would like open source, but immediate need
supersedes desire, for the moment).
 So, ideas? I just cannot believe there are not a good number of
softwares running in Linux or a '*nix' variant .. I am betting that the
back-end servers and db's are all Linux or Unix clusters.  Maybe
something by way of a plugin to R through a DB (mysql or PostgreSQL -->
GUI. Perhaps something from the Quantian branches?
Oh well, any thoughts and help appreciated.. maybe a excuse for me to
stretch into becoming a coder!
Running Debian SID.
Thank you,
matthew