[Techtalk] Gnome wireless manager?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jan 22 21:12:47 UTC 2007

On Sunday 21 January 2007 20:27, Kathryn Hogg wrote:
> Carla Schroder wrote:
> > heya,
> >
> > I'm sitting here staring at my nice new Fedora 6 installation and I don't
> > see
> > a graphical wireless network manager. I'm assuming there must be one,
> > it's just not installed. Is there one that manages WPA-PSK keys and
> > ESSIDS and all
> > that good stuff? And roaming profiles? The ordinary network tool
> > (system-config-network) that's been moldering and unimproved since Red
> > Hat was knee-high to Yggdrasil has no wireless tools.
> >
> > I know how to edit the text configs already, so don't suggest that. :)
>
> NetworkManager is your friend (you may need NetworkManager-gnome for the
> applet)

Thanks, that's not too bad. I wish it had a menu entry or an applet that would
stay put- my wireless card was not yet configured to authenticate to my
access point, so the applet kept blinking in and out as it tried to connect.
Apparently there is no timeout; I left it for an hour and it kept running the
whole time, hammering both hard drive and CPU. Why the hard drive? Another
Gnome mystery. I managed to whack-a-mole it until some actual configuration
windows appeared and then got it set up. Is it supposed to be so elusive?
This is on FC6.

Amusingly, Ubuntu Edgy ships with a broken NetworkManager; they packaged
version 7.0 which is not ready for release.

I really must learn to code. This sort of thing is just...meh.

--
Carla Schroder