[Techtalk] Content Management Systems

Tamara Harpster tamara.harpster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 16:28:57 UTC 2007

Very good information provided of things to look for in a Content Management
System, I wish I had thought those, but I must admit I have been busy
deploying CMS for large, busy sites so I normally haven't had to worry about
such items. In addition to the links below, I would recommend the following
links for your research

http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ - Provides a form for checking features you are
interested in and then displaying a list of CMS software that has those
functions. Includes Open Source and Commercial systems

http://www.cmswatch.com/ - CMS Watch provides analysis of various CMS
packages, includes some reports breaking down functionality and major CMS'

http://www.opensourcecms.com/ - Has installed demos of popular Open Source
CMS software that you can try out, both user and admin interface

And now to go add the links below to my list of CMS info. :-)

tamara

On 1/10/07, Linda de Boer <ldb at swmbo.ca> wrote:

> Kathryn Andersen wrote:
>
> > What I would suggest you do is make a list of the things that you
> > require for a Content Management System, and things that would be nice,
> > and then take a gander at
> >
> > http://www.la-grange.net/cms (a bit out of date)
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_content_management_systems
> > and
> > http://www.wikimatrix.org/
> >
> > and use your list to cross out the ones that don't suit, and make a
> > shortlist of those that might suit.
> >
> > The reason why I say that is that, even though Drupal may be highly
> > recommended for content management, your requirements for content
> > management aren't necessarly the same as those of Joe Bloggs.
> > For example, since you've "always done the code in good old vi" then
> > you don't necessarily need a CMS which caters heavily to people who
> > don't know HTML.
> Very good points, thanks for the urls, I've been searching around and
> not quite finding the right answers. I'll check them out.
> >
> > When you say that you're looking into alternatives "due to volume", what
> > sort of volume?  Volume of traffic, volume of pages, volume of
> customers?
> > Maybe you don't need a database-driven CMS, maybe you would be better
> > served by a templating system which generates static content (because
> > static content is always going to be served faster than dynamic
> > content).
> Volume of customers and pages both actually. I figure about 80% static,
> 20% dynamic in the next few months.
> >
> > Another question is, of course, do you run your own server or do you use
> > a web-host?  If the latter, your options may be more limited,
> > depending on what they support.
>
> We actually have a colo server  with some other bofhs, so it just runs
> apache etc. No fancy front ends and you're expected to know what you're
> doing on the command line.
>

> > Okay, more than a *few* questions...
> >
> > I think it's worth the effort of really looking for yourself, but you
> > may not wish to take the time to do so.
>
> I have definitely been doing alot of searching/reading etc, but
> thankfully, I feel that your questions are helping me out of a thinking
> rut. So, let's see where this takes it.
>
> Thanks much.....;-)
>
> --
> ldb

"Do not anger the dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"