[Techtalk] Content Management Systems

Linda de Boer ldb at swmbo.ca
Wed Jan 10 14:34:32 UTC 2007

Kathryn Andersen wrote:

> What I would suggest you do is make a list of the things that you
> require for a Content Management System, and things that would be nice,
> and then take a gander at
>
> http://www.la-grange.net/cms (a bit out of date)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_content_management_systems
> and
> http://www.wikimatrix.org/
>
> and use your list to cross out the ones that don't suit, and make a
> shortlist of those that might suit.
>
> The reason why I say that is that, even though Drupal may be highly
> recommended for content management, your requirements for content
> management aren't necessarly the same as those of Joe Bloggs.
> For example, since you've "always done the code in good old vi" then
> you don't necessarily need a CMS which caters heavily to people who
> don't know HTML.
Very good points, thanks for the urls, I've been searching around and
not quite finding the right answers. I'll check them out.

> When you say that you're looking into alternatives "due to volume", what
> sort of volume?  Volume of traffic, volume of pages, volume of customers?
> Maybe you don't need a database-driven CMS, maybe you would be better
> served by a templating system which generates static content (because
> static content is always going to be served faster than dynamic
> content).
Volume of customers and pages both actually. I figure about 80% static,
20% dynamic in the next few months.

> Another question is, of course, do you run your own server or do you use
> a web-host?  If the latter, your options may be more limited,
> depending on what they support.

We actually have a colo server  with some other bofhs, so it just runs
apache etc. No fancy front ends and you're expected to know what you're
doing on the command line.

> Okay, more than a *few* questions...
>
> I think it's worth the effort of really looking for yourself, but you
> may not wish to take the time to do so.

I have definitely been doing alot of searching/reading etc, but
thankfully, I feel that your questions are helping me out of a thinking
rut. So, let's see where this takes it.

Thanks much.....;-)

--
ldb