[Techtalk] [Perl] cgi.pm - save input in .html file

Chris Henderson hendersochris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 11:59:39 UTC 2007

I created a cgi file (test.cgi) which takes user input and shows at
the bottom of test.cgi. I want the result to be saved to a .html file
so the other people can view the result. I understand that I need to
open a file handle and somehow write the input from test.cgi to that
file handle but I am not too sure how.  Here's my code -

#!/usr/bin/perl

use CGI qw(:standard);

print header;
print start_html('Test Form'),
    h1('A Test Form'),
    start_form,
    "What's your name? ",textfield('name'),
    p,
    "What's your favorite mail client?",
    p,
    checkbox_group(-name=>'words',
                   -values=>['mutt','mail','pico','sylpheed'],
                   -defaults=>['mutt','mail']),
    p,
    "What's your favorite editor? ",
    popup_menu(-name=>'editor',
               -values=>['emacs','vi','ed','cat']),
    p,
    submit,
    end_form,
    hr;

if (param()) {
    print
        "Your name is",em(param('name')),
        p,
        "The keywords are: ",em(join(", ",param('words'))),
        p,
        "Your favorite editor is ",em(param('editor')),
        hr;
}
print end_html;

Thanks.