[Techtalk] spam filters

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Mon Jan 8 06:48:53 UTC 2007

Akkana Peck wrote:
<snip a bunch of stuff>

> # The ALL_TRUSTED test seems to trust everybody, including dynamic
> # IPs from random ISPs like c-71-201-212-73.hsd1.il.comcast.net.
> score ALL_TRUSTED       0

I've been playing with the spam filters again, and going through the
emails all of you helpful people sent about spam filters, and I have now
learned something about the ALL_TRUSTED test, which others might be
interested in.

It seems that if you use a NAT translater the filter gets confused, and
thinks everything that appears to be from a private network (or some
other random ips, which I couldn't figure out) should be trusted, so you
need to tell the spam filter what it should trust, otherwise, Akkana is
correct, and it will give lots of spam a trusted score. I added
something like the following to my local.cf:

trusted_networks 123.456.789.0/25
trusted_networks 10.456.789.0/25

and it has made a big difference. It seems there are some reasons to set
this up correctly, instead of just turning it off:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FixingAllTrusted
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustPath
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/ALL_TRUSTED?action=show&redirect=ALL+TRUSTED

cheers,