[Techtalk] killproc

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 14:19:29 UTC 2007

On 1/5/07, Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:
> Well, between Wim's mail and Andreas' mail, I have things much closer,
> but keep running into more differences. I'm thinking I'm just going to
> try to adapt one of the simpler scripts in init.d at this point, but if
> someone feels like helping me do some more troubleshooting, here are the
> errors I am still getting:
>
> ./mathlm: line 65: checkpid: command not found
> ./mathlm: line 67: failure: command not found
>
> checkpid just doesn't seem to exist in the current distributions of
> debian, and I have no idea what failure is - sticking failure into
> google is not a useful exercise. ;-)

They were both in the functions from RHEL that Cynthia posted earlier
in the thread. You could try just putting those functions in the
beginning of the script. (although you probably best write your own
version of failure() ) This init.d script looks to be a bit RH
specific though, so rewriting it might just be the best way of doing
this. An example is I believe in /etc/init.d/skeleton or something
like that. To have it executed automatically when entering a certain
runlevel look at the manpage for update-rc.d.

greets,
Wim