[Techtalk] tracking down resource leaks

N Hospodarsky hospodarsky at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 16:06:48 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I have a question about resource monitoring. I have a RH server that
is running proprietary RH software on it. It seems that one of the
processes in that software is slowly sucking up CPU resources. I've
been following it using Cricket (http://cricket.sourceforge.net/), and
over the last month there's been a steady upward trend of CPU
resoruces being used by %User.

I have been trying to get as much information as possible before
opening a ticket with the vendor; I'm curious what you all generally
do when attempting to  track down resource leaks...so far I've
narrowed it down to a python process, using the typical looking
through logs, getting information from PS....and have used strace to
minimally look for information...strace wasn't all that illuminating
to me because the output was just a huge stream of:

futex(0x9fbc1c0, FUTEX_WAKE, 1)         = 0

which means nothing to me.

What else can I use to get information about a leaky process? Or is
this information the best I can hope for with my non-python-programmer
skillset?

Thanks for tips/suggestions/resources, etc.!

Naomi