[Techtalk] is Evolution ready for prime time?

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Wed Feb 21 20:33:23 UTC 2007

Carla Schroder wrote:
> Is anyone using Evolution in a business environment? Last time I tested
> it, it
> was pretty raw and buggy, which was years ago. Would you trust it as an
> Outlook replacment, in a real production environment where things have to
> work right?

I used Evolution for 2.5 years until my company was acquired by a much
larger company.  For most of that time, I was the only person not forced
to use Windows and therefore was the only person not using Outlook.

For the most part Evolution worked well but would occasionally go through
periods where new and somewhat serious bugs would crop up.  I run Fedora
and they tend to stay near the bleeding edge.

The one annoyance I didn't like was that I had to render email in their
HTML form or else it wouldn't handle those lovely calendar entry
attachments.  The integration with the calendar stuff is pretty nice in
evolution.

Since Jan 1, I've been using Thunderbird since that is what the new
company supports.  I have to send out my weekly status report in HTML and
thunderbird will not let me do that on a per message basis.  I have to go
into account settings, set my compose preferences to HTML, send the email,
and then put it back to plain text.

--
Kathryn
http://womensfooty.com