[Techtalk] is Evolution ready for prime time?

Jennifer Scalf jscalf at pegasus.rutgers.edu
Wed Feb 21 19:04:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 10:41 -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Is anyone using Evolution in a business environment? Last time I tested it, it
> was pretty raw and buggy, which was years ago. Would you trust it as an
> Outlook replacment, in a real production environment where things have to
> work right?

I do, I use it at work. I'm the only person I know that does in my
building though.

I trust it as an Outlook replacement, it's just as buggy as Outlook can
be anyway. It's bloated. If you have less than 1GB of RAM, don't bother.
And I have a ticket right now open because I managed to crash it by
creating a task with a weird url it in. I also have to restart it every
4 or 5 days because it will really slow down my machine. I don't like
how you have to "expunge" folders to have things you delete actually be
deleted.

But there are cool things about it now (ver 2.8). For example, you can
subscribe to google calendar and then sync it to your palm through
Evolution (and sync everything else). You can create tasks from emails
with it. The search feature is the best (besides grep). When you reply
to a list, it actually puts the list address in the To: (unlike
thunderbird). There are too many things to list, but those are a few I
like.