[Techtalk] Quick question, I hope?

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Fri Dec 21 22:54:06 UTC 2007

Gebhard Dettmar wrote:

> I meant it as an example for something uncault should be LANG=C
> which is probably what you want, so it shouldn't be necessary to create /etc/
> environment. Now there is something strange so why not checking it with
> LANG=C and see if it helps
Yes, it does.

>> Where do I create the file (as root?) and what should be in it.
>> At the moment /etc/environment is en_US.utf8.
>>
> Then change it to C and see what happens. As root: vim
> <your_favourite_editor> /etc/environment, then
> LANG=C
Yep, exactly what I finally decided to try.

>> (you should create this file if you want e.g. LANG=de_DE for german.
>>
>>> If I understood my debian book
>> Which book do you recommend?
>>
> My is a german. for this matter
> http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/doc/maint/Maintenance-sysadmin.html
> should help (5.4 Systemwide environment configuration). English
> recommendations for debian? Hmm this goes out to our members of the
> english-speaking world.
>
> HTH,
> Gebhard

Again, Thank you.
I'll dig into the subject in greater detail as soon as I get the work
completed.

By the way, does anyone have a good basic tutorial that explains to NON
programmers how to troubleshoot seg fault errors? I have a bunch of
people including myself that have asked to understand this subject.
I often use strace and similar but there must be many better ways.
Thank you,
matthew