[Techtalk] machine hanging

B Seeger seeger at prosensing.com
Thu Dec 13 17:14:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

After spending most of yesterday on this, I think I've figured out what
it is.  And I sincerely hope we don't have another setup like this
anytime soon. :)

The machine had a SCSI hard drive operating through a PCI card. I
suspected that this might be part of the problem, so after testing the
memory, I pulled out the drive and used an ATA hardrive, which hooked
directly into the motherboard.  Except for the ethernet, things were
much more stable (as the harddrive had a few versions of 2.6 linux on
it, I figured the problem with the ethernet was a driver issue.).  Today
I swapped in another ATA drive that had a 2.4.25 kernel and the machine
acts like it never had a problem and the ethernet is fine.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten the cdrom drive to work, so I could never
boot in to knoppix to diagnose this more.  Another thing to fix, but the
main problem is gone and I have a few cdrom drives I can swap in, if
necessary.

So, somewhere with the SCSI there's a hardware issue or maybe an IRQ
problem/misconfiguration.  Unfortunately I'm out of time to play with
it.

One thing solved... :)  Thanks again for all the advice received.
Thankfully I don't have to repartition anything and now have a fairly
stable system.

Thanks,
Bethany