[Techtalk] machine hanging

Juliet Kemp juliet at earth.li
Wed Dec 12 15:40:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 06:11:36PM -0500, B Seeger wrote:

> Can I
> repartition it w/ out a re-installing?  Don't think so, but worth
> asking...

See here:
http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/04/repartitioning_on_the_fly_and.html

for a discussion of repartitioning without reinstalling.  It can be done
(using parted) but it depends on your disk space/arrangements.

> /dev/sda1             989M  891M   48M  95% /
> tmpfs                 442M     0  442M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda3              67G   11G   53G  18% /data0

Looking at that, you could do the first suggestion there (rather than
the workaround I actually used).  You might need to do a bit more
juggling around, depending on how much you actually want to move around.

As others have said, this may not actually be your problem, but that's a
fairly small space you have there on / so repartitioning may be a good
bet anyway!

Juliet