[Techtalk] opinions wanted!

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 2 13:24:56 UTC 2007

Carla Schroder wrote:
>  I'm writing the outline for the 2nd edition of the Linux Cookbook, whee, how the years do fly by. What topics are your burning desire? In addition to correcting embarassing blunders and updating old stuff, I'll add chapters on software RAID, LVM, and Zeroconf/Avahi.
>
> What else should go in there? Check the table of contents for inspiration:
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/toc.html
>
> Carla

Hi Carla,

some of this is going to be obvious, just mentioning as i myself tend to
forget the obvious :)

ch 5: update to use /sys

ch 9: disk partitioning schemes? I know this gets close to holy
wars/flame wars, but might be good to add some thoughts here.

ch 16: you might want to check out rdiff-backup (shameless plug for my
favourite backup program)

ch 18: Subversion! also, hg is used a lot nowadays

ch 20: you are missing sendmail :) :) :) (or just point to one of many
good sendmail tutorials)

What i am missing is firewalls & VPN's. Especially firewalls should in
my view be present, as we are in an evermore connected internet world.
And it is going to become more important to understand it when going to
IPv6.

Also, although samba is there, NFS for file sharing is not mentioned.
And is in my humble opinion to be preferred between linux machines above
samba, as samba inherently assumes one user per PC, so the network links
have to be build after user login. On performance they are about equal
(if well configured). At the moment a lot of effort is put into
supporting NFS over IPv6.

Cheers,

Rudy