[Techtalk] Apache Basic Authentication problem

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Aug 30 06:01:56 UTC 2007

I have a virtual hosts setup at home, have a few different
vhosts (one for my main site, one for my mailing lists etc)
For one of the virtual hosts, which has personal stuff on it (personal
wiki, e-fiction and various things) I set up Basic Authentication
so that people couldn't get at it from the outside world
unless they were already a user on my system (which means just me,
really)

I also want it to NOT ask for a password when being accessed from the
local machine, since it gets annoying and that's how I access it most of
the time.

The BA seems to work -- it asks for passwords.  However, it also asks
for a password when I'm accessing it from the local machine, which it
shouldn't.

Here's my setup:

Apache 2.0.58
GenToo Linux

Here's the relevant bits from the config file:

-----------------------------------
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName kat.katspace.homelinux.org
    ServerAlias kat.katspace.org kat.localhost
    ServerAdmin webmaster at katspace.homelinux.org
    SuExecUserGroup kat users

<Directory "/var/www/mysite/htdocs">
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "MySite"
        Order allow,deny
        Require valid-user
        Allow from localhost
        Satisfy Any
</Directory>

How can I get it to not ask me for a password from the local machine?
I thought the "Allow from localhost" would do it, but it isn't.

Kathryn Andersen