[Techtalk] upgrading debian

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Aug 23 16:46:57 UTC 2007

Gina Lanik writes:
> Does your machine have multiple network interfaces? If yes it might be
> an issue with udev and persistent-net.rules?
> http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-device-reorder

I hit that in Etch too, but I wasn't able to find a way to fix
persistent-net.rules to work the way I wanted. I ended up
blacklisting the modules I didn't want, instead (which in Debian
isn't easy and requires a hack).  I wrote up the details:
http://shallowsky.com/blog/linux/etch-firewire-net.html

Ah, but I didn't find the page Gina mentions, which links to
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/footnotes.en.html#f11
which says to just delete
/etc/udev/rules.d/z45_persistent-net-generator.rules to disable
persistent renaming altogether. That's probably a good approach,
though it's too bad you can't keep persistent renaming for some
devices while disabling it for others.

But if Maria has already been fiddling with /etc/network/interfaces
she has probably already compared the interface name there with what
shows up in ifconfig -a (if not, Maria, check that first).

Maria, what's it doing or not doing? Does the interface show up in
ifconfig -a? What happens if you /etc/init.d/networking restart
from the command line? Any error messages there, or in dmesg or
/var/log/messages?

	...Akkana