[Techtalk] upgrading debian

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Aug 23 02:44:26 UTC 2007

Maria McKinley wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I upgraded my kernel from 2.4 to 2.6. If I boot into 2.6, networking
> does not work. I have tried all sorts of things to get it to work
> (mostly making various changes to /etc/network/interfaces), but can't do
> it. I've been wanting to move from main to testing for a while, so I
> thought maybe doing a dist-upgrade would solve the problem. Of course, I
> can only do this when I am booted into the 2.4 kernel. When I try to do
> it, apt-get wants to remove the 2.4 kernel, which I'm not ready to do.
> So now I am stuck, and not sure what to do. Ideas?
>
> thanks,
> maria

I think I am going to just wipe the drive and start over, installing 2.6
from the start. I do have a silly, low-level question. If you have a
drive that seems to be having problems, and you are not adverse to
starting over, is it better to do fsck and then wipe the drive? I'm
guessing that fsck will tell you about stuff that won't be cured by
wiping the drive, so you don't waste your time? Or would you find that
out anyway from the installer?

thanks,
amria