[Techtalk] The Regex Coach

Ian Balchin aesop at fables.co.za
Tue Aug 14 12:18:35 UTC 2007

Thanks to all for the comments.

The applicable  linux instructions  for regex-coach follow lower
down.

Now I did unzip the tar into my ~directory and then there appears a
regex-coach executeable but it doesn't execute, although it is r-xr-
xr-x which in my innocence I imagine is the magic key to make it do
so for everyone.

I then thought that I had to build the RPM and panic'd, but I was
probably mistaken there and the executeable should just execute as it
is.

If there are no other obvious suggestions then I'll try their mailing
list. I don't like being beaten.

Beverley also suggested txt2regex, for which many thanks, and I'll
download and experiment with that soon.

Best wishes
Anne

Your 11 August 2007 email from Figaro  said thus::

> Well you could just download the .rpm, save it somewhere to your
> liking; open a terminal window su to root then  issue:
>  # alien -s /home/mydirectory/regex-coach-xxx-i386.rpm (or what ever
>  is
> appropriate for your dir and regex package)
> press enter and watch alien build you a .deb.
> >From there, as root;
> # dpkg -i /home/mydir/regex-x.-xx.-x.i386.deb  press enter and watch
> # for
> errors.
>  You will need to have the program named: alien installed first. The
>  -s
> flag ensures that all the prei-nstall and post-install scripts are
> read (built) into the .deb package. Though there is usually not any
> MS but am hazy about installing things on Linux. >>> >> >>> >> >>> >>
> There is a tar archive which I have downloaded and it contains >>> >>
> instructions on building an RPM which I understand to be Red Hat >>>
> >> terminology. >>> >> >>> >> Since I am running Debian will this
> still be the way forward? >>> >> >>> >> Has anyone  tried this on
> Linux. >>> >> >>> >> Thanks for any guides and tips. >>> >> >>> >>
> Regards >>> >> Anne >>> >> ---- >>> >> Anne Wainwright >>> >>

Fables Bookshop (Proprietor: Ian Balchin) Est. 1990
119 High Street, Grahamstown, 6139, South Africa.
Tel/Fax: Shop  +27-(0)46-636-1525
Tel: Home office:  +27-(0)46-622-2474
cell:
Skype: fablesbooks    (subject to my being at the computer station).
http://www.fables.co.za/
subscribe to our email africana catalogue: