[Techtalk] mailing lists

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Mon Apr 30 22:59:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007, MK Hayes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to get mailing lists up and functional for my camera club on our
> shared host.  I was hoping to just use Mailman, but if the list has over
> 100 subscribers, the web host won't allow it. (We're currently 105.)
> They recommend Dada Mail, but getting that to do what I need doesn't
> look easy.

Have you definitely decided against or aren't allowed to pay another
provider for Mailman (or switch entirely to another provider)? 100
subscribers is an arbitary limit: Mailman itself can easily do many
thousands, so the 100 subscribers is definitely a provider enforced
limit and it won't be enforced by every provider.

> 3) Ability to handle text and html mail. (Much as I'd like to, getting
> the members to Not send html mail is impossible.)

When you say 'handle' do you mean just being able to send HTML mail on,
or does it need to archive it well or other things?

> So I guess what I need is either really good documentation for Dada
> Mail, or an alternative that has decent documentation.

Check Ecartis as a possible alternative: http://www.ecartis.org/

-Mary