[Techtalk] connect VCR to computer?

Linda Y. Kuo illini.engineer at att.net
Tue Apr 10 23:18:25 UTC 2007

Hello,

The problem is that many of the video capture cards and devices
now on the market will not have drivers for Windows 98SE.
If you are going to do this, read the information on the box carefully.

I'm not sure what is the purpose of this video transfer, but if the purpose
is to capture and burn to DVD, you might be better off
buying a DVD recorder-VCR combination.

I have transferred over 75 VHS tapes to DVD using a DVD recorder.
Works like a charm.

Linda

On 8 Apr 2007 at 18:36, LAM wrote:

> Dear Mereith -- My name is Linda, I'm a senior citizen from Ossining New York and trying to
learn about transferring video tapes to my computer.
Before my old computer died I had everything needed to transfer analog to digital.
(Luv saying this cuz I recently learned these words!) A friend had connected my VCR to my
computer.
All I did was click buttons and whammo, the video tape got recorded on my computer.
The only tapes I used were recordings of local government meetings.
I even learned how to "snippet" a 10 minute segment out of a 3-hour meeting.

> Anyway, my computer died. It had windows 98SE. Then my cousin Roberta died, and I got her computer.
Nice one. Gateway with windows 98SE.  I LUV this operating system and will not change.
Too old for me to change.

> There are no "holes" in my cousin's computer to plug in the two wires that come out of the VCR.
A neighbor told me I need an RCA.  But am absolutely clueless what an RCA is !
Is this something that someone can install on my computer?
Or is it possible to just buy connector plugs so I can do it myself?

> I'm trying to learn this on my own because I'm living on a very small income.
If you can not answer me, that's okay. You must be bombarded with questions.
Thank you in advance and have a super-wonder Springtime!