[Techtalk] connect VCR to computer?

Andrea Landaker qirien at icecavern.net
Tue Apr 10 19:28:22 UTC 2007

> There are no "holes" in my cousin's computer to plug in the two wires that
> come out of the VCR.  A neighbor told me I need an RCA.  But am absolutely
> clueless what an RCA is !  Is this something that someone can install on my
> computer?  Or is it possible to just buy connector plugs so I can do it
> myself?

Sounds like you used to have a video capture card in your old computer, and 
now you don't.  You will either need to obtain a video capture card (which 
will have a place to plug in those two wires you're talking about), or find 
some other kind of device to do that for you.  Some digital video cameras 
will do this.

Some type of video capture cards go inside your computer; others are external 
and plug into your computer in a USB or Firewire slot (make sure you know 
which you have before you go shopping for a video capture device).  They cost 
about $50-$100 new, but some people have them built in to their computer and 
don't use them (in fact, if you have your old computer, you could probably 
open it up and take out the video capture card you had in there and put it in 
your new computer).

http://www.videohelp.com/ is a site that you might find helpful for this type 
of thing.

Best of luck!

Andrea Landaker

More information about the Techtalk mailing list