[Techtalk] connect VCR to computer?

Andrea Landaker qirien at icecavern.net
Tue Apr 10 19:28:22 UTC 2007

> There are no "holes" in my cousin's computer to plug in the two wires that
> come out of the VCR.  A neighbor told me I need an RCA.  But am absolutely
> clueless what an RCA is !  Is this something that someone can install on my
> computer?  Or is it possible to just buy connector plugs so I can do it
> myself?

Sounds like you used to have a video capture card in your old computer, and
now you don't.  You will either need to obtain a video capture card (which
will have a place to plug in those two wires you're talking about), or find
some other kind of device to do that for you.  Some digital video cameras
will do this.

Some type of video capture cards go inside your computer; others are external
and plug into your computer in a USB or Firewire slot (make sure you know
which you have before you go shopping for a video capture device).  They cost
about $50-$100 new, but some people have them built in to their computer and
don't use them (in fact, if you have your old computer, you could probably
open it up and take out the video capture card you had in there and put it in
your new computer).

http://www.videohelp.com/ is a site that you might find helpful for this type
of thing.

Best of luck!