[Techtalk] logging problem at boot

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Fri Oct 27 21:45:35 UTC 2006

Angelina Carlton wrote:
> Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> writes:
>

>>When I boot up my machine, I see a bright red failed, and something
>>about syncookies, but it flies by too fast to tell what it is all
>>about. So I looked in the logs, but can't find anything. It seems that
>>not everything that flies by at boot up is logged. I thought that all
>>of the stuff that went by on the screen was logged to dmesg, but this
>>doesn't seem to be the case. What can I do to ensure this message is
>>saved somewhere when I boot?
>

> Hi Maria
>
> If you are on a Debian (or derivative) system you can set the
> /etc/default/bootlogd variable
> BOOTLOGD_ENABLE to yes and then examine /var/log/boot
>
> ,----[ /etc/default/bootlogd ]
> | # Run bootlogd at startup ?
> | BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes
> `----

Thanks you so much. Knew there must be something easy, but searching for
on google for variates on boot log debian gave me everything but. I did
find what looks like a nice thing on logging though. Anyone know about this:

Has anyone used the advice? Makes sense to me, but wondering if others
see problems with it.

cheers,
maria