[Techtalk] spam filters

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Oct 26 07:51:31 UTC 2006

On 24-Oct-06, at 4:55 AM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> You are expressing my own frustration. I also noticed that most of
> what gets through have a lot of almost sensible sentences which go
> about nothing, and the actual spam content is in an embedded gif.

This reminds me, I'd been meaning to find out if anyone had written
some OCR (optical character recognition) to plug into spam assassin for
these stupid image-spams.  I guess since updating spam assassin hasn't
helped with the problem, the answer is probably no.

I might have to write it myself if no one gets one working in the next
couple of weeks.  I'm not a huge fan of graylisting because I get a lot
of time-sensitive stuff from dubious sources (that is, my students, who
use quite a variety of mailservers which may be horribly
mis-configured) so my mail admin let me opt-out of that, but these
image spams simply aren't interesting anymore, so it's time to get them
out of my inbox and quarantined with the rest of the trash.

  Terri