[Techtalk] spam filters

Raquel raquel at thericehouse.net
Tue Oct 24 14:27:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:55:09 +0200 (CEST)
Rudy Zijlstra <rudy at edsons.demon.nl> wrote:

> You are expressing my own frustration. I also noticed that most of
> what  gets through have a lot of almost sensible sentences which
> go about  nothing, and the actual spam content is in an embedded
> gif.
>
> I've done the same as you, reinstalled spamassassin, with sofar
> the same  unsatisfying result. I've also noticed you can nowadays
> use razor, and  still need to double check whether i've got that
> correctly installed and  enabled.
>
> Good luck, and please share if you find a solution!
>
> Regards,
>
> Rudy

Rudy,

I've been using SpamAssassin on my mail server for a couple of years
and have great success with it.  I train it daily with SPAM which
gets missed.  I ask my users to attach mail (complete with all
headers) to an email and send them to a special address which then
gets picked up and fed to sa-learn.  I also train the filters with
non-SPAM.
$ man sa-learn

The other thing I do is to (automatically) update the rulesets I
use.  Because spammers constantly change their methods, the rulesets
are often updated regularly.
http://www.rulesemporium.com/
http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules.htm
http://www.exit0.us/index.php?pagename=RulesDuJour