[Techtalk] Re: spam filters

Jean-Daniel Pauget jd at disjunkt.com
Tue Oct 24 09:51:58 UTC 2006

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Maria McKinley wrote:
> >I am currently using spamassasin to filter spam on our mail server.
> >Lately it has not been doing a very good job.

    recently I turned on greylisting on my MXs :
	http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/
    by using that one :
	http://www.gasmi.net/gld.html (postfix + mysql)

    and really it works rather well, more spam are filtered on a saner
    basis than bayasian filters. I still have my bogospam enabled because
    the above won't filter spam incoming from mailing lists, mail forwards
    (old acounts here and there), open relays etc... but still 90% of spams
    are filtered by the above (2950 per day at home) 6% with bogospam and
    the cleverest spams have to be manually eliminated (about 15 per days).

    with this method you have to manually whitelist some IPs (like lkml)
    that produce a lot of valid mails with a lot of different originating
    from addresses...

    you also need to do that on all your MX, if you don't do it on
    secondaries, spam will come from there.

--
    Jean-Daniel Pauget

    Tél: +33 (0)2 33 17 20 16