[Techtalk] Alternative ways to implement a mailing list...

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sun May 28 07:52:28 EST 2006

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 12:06:01PM +0200, Jason Landry wrote:
> Recap: I own straslug/org which is currently "registrared" with Yahoo!
> and hosted with 1&1 here in France (1&1 DNS server addresses plugged
> into Yahoo!, everything working great). The [elusive thus far] goal
> here, is to have a mailing list ? la *techtalkATstraslug/org*, etc. My
> ISP is ADSL2+, so I've got 1Mbps upstream [and] a fixed IP...

You have a fixed IP?
Then you could probably run a mailing list server yourself!
That is, if your ISP allows servers (better ask them -- some ISPs block
server ports even if they give you a static IP).
If you felt like the learning curve, that is.  And would be willing to
run both your mail and web service.  The way you would do that is that
you would forget about a web-hosting provider, and just get a DNS
provider, who would point their DNS for straslug.org to the fixed IP
which your ISP gave you, and then all web and mail for that domain would
go to your own machine.  It's what I do with my katspace.org domain.

The downside would be, of course, the large learning curve.
The upside would be total control of both your webhosting and mailing
list setup.

What you could possibly do as a sort of way of dipping your toes in the
water would be to get a free domain from dyndns.org and get things
working for that, and when they are, just change over your straslug.org
domain to point to the same fixed IP, and add that in to your
configurations.

> I just got word from 1&1 support, telling me in effect that 1 to many
> aliases "weren't possible". My hosting plan says I've got 2,000
> aliases, so now I've got a question in with them -- response pending
> -- what are all these aliases for, and *how* in fact does one
> use/deploy them?

They're just many-to-one aliases.  You can set it up so that
info at straslug.org points to contact at straslug.org
and that query at straslug.org also points to contact at straslug.org
or that fred at straslug.org points to fred at gmail.com
and so on.  That's what the "2,000 aliases" are.

Kathryn Andersen