[Techtalk] Alternative ways to implement a mailing list...

Jason Landry jaselan at gmail.com
Fri May 26 22:38:57 EST 2006

> What's the list for? How do you expect it to be used?

Believe it or not, a LUG in Strasbourg, France. The domain is
straslug/dot/org. So just like LinuxChix, I would like a tech@, etc.

> You can always make a list at mydomain alias and
> point it at your list at yahoo address.

This is like a noob question, but *where* would I "make" this alias?

> It's not ideal, because the mail will still come from yahoo
> or smartgroups or whatever, but at least everyone will be able to
> send to a small address you chose on your domain.

I didn't catch the full dynamic here, so we may have to revisit this part.

> If you can find someone else to host mailman for you,

Yeah, I'd pretty much be set.

> it's actually built to handle this sort of thing, so you can
> host it without hosting your domain name there and
> yet still have it look right.  You just tell mailman that it's
> hosting a list for mydomain.com, and then you set up
> a set of aliases on mydomain.com to point to the
> "real" addresses of the mailman machine.

I've got a budget hosting plan with no access to /etc/aliases, or
whatever I would need apparently, to create any "set of aliases". But
then they say my plan has 2000 aliases... So I'm like what's the
dealio, here?

> But for your use and minimalist resources...
> if you can't find a friend to host,

That would be great; yeah, I got a server right here in the bedroom...
or yeah, I run a big University shop, my brother runs a hosting
outfit, etc.

> and it's a small list, you're probably just as
> good to make a one-to-many alias.

So am I shot Terri, if my budget provider doesn't offer this option?

> You can usually do it just by separating addresses by
> commmas in whatever web interface they give you, but your
> mileage may vary there. :)

That's actually a solid lead to check out; thanks Terri. I'll do some
homework and come back at ya' if needed. Thanks Terri... Chix..

-- J