[Techtalk] Alternative ways to implement a mailing list...

Tamara Harpster tamara.harpster at gmail.com
Wed May 24 08:30:13 EST 2006

I'd suggest using a PHP based script, as you've seen mentioned already.
Hotscripts.com is a good resource for PHP scripts, both free and pay for
versions. Here is the link to the Mailing List Managers,
http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Mailing_List_Managers/index.html,
just skip through the list of paid advertising, eventually you get to the
free versions. :-)

I'd recommend one, but I haven't used a mailing list web script in a while
and the last one I used was Perl based. Also, my web hosting services
provides support for a mailing list, if I chose to create one, but again,
I'm not supporting anything where I'd need to maintain a list.

good luck
tamara

On 5/23/06, Jason Landry <jaselan at gmail.com> wrote:

> If one is not in a position to run [Mailman] on a [server]... what
> alternatives exist for running a mailing list with ones own domain
> name. Some cursory searching revealed outfits like --
> http://www.milepost1.com/ -- where they'll host your domain name and
> provide ML services; but is that it?... I've got a web hosting plan
> right now that includes e-mail addresses and `aliases'. I thought hey,
> I can define a list and then point [alias] an e-mail address at it and
> thus create a sort of de facto mailing list, but it seems the alias
> capability is *one* address to *one* other only (I'm still waiting on
> word from tech support, vis-a-vis). The other thing I saw was
> something about implementing an ML in a web page (my plan has PHP,
> btw)... Any suggestions Chix?
>
> -- J

"Do not anger the dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"