[Techtalk] Samba/Windows question

Kai MacTane kmactane at gothpunk.com
Sat Mar 18 08:18:56 EST 2006

At 12:42 PM 3/16/2006 , MK Hayes wrote:
>This is probably mostly a Windows question.  I set up Samba on our home
>network, so I can listen to our music when I'm working in Photoshop.
>I followed Carla's instructions from her Cookbook, (many thanks) and it
>worked great.

Not sure where Carla's cookbook is, so I'm not sure exactly what setup
you're using. But I'm using Samba on Linux as my house's MP3 server as
well. I've found that the Windows username and the Linux username need to
be identical, or it gives me problems like you're seeing. At first, I used
"kmactane" as my Linux username, but had my XP logon as "kai", and got the
error message you're seeing. Changing my Linux username to "kai" fixed it.

N.B.: I'm using XP Pro, not XP Home.

I haven't had to make any special tweaks on the Windows side. I can post my
smb.conf for comparison, if you think it will help.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Don't you know this flesh you are, wrapped up all inside your world
  The flood of all things sensory...
  Don't you know, you are flesh?"
                                                 --The Last Dance,
                                                  "Flesh"