[Techtalk] Samba/Windows question

MK Hayes mkhayes at charter.net
Fri Mar 17 07:42:48 EST 2006

This is probably mostly a Windows question.  I set up Samba on our home
network, so I can listen to our music when I'm working in Photoshop.

I followed Carla's instructions from her Cookbook, (many thanks) and it
worked great.  My husband hardened our server, so I added a samba
account for me and everything was again cool.  Until I rebooted Windows
(XP Home).

When I try to open the music share I get this:

\\Centurion\music is not accessible.  You might not have permission to
use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to
find out if you have access permissions.
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Grr.  Once in a blue moon, it will actually ask me for username and
password, and when it does, I have tunes again.  I found an online
reference that said to change the registry to not save passwords.  I did
this, and it worked once.

I've searched online for an answer, but no luck.  Some sites tell me I
can't do this at all with XP Home.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
MK