[Techtalk] Compressing ogg file

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Sat Jun 10 22:18:45 EST 2006

You obviously have the ogg libraries installed, so use sox! I don't have
time to trace all of the flags to use (gotta go to work), but...

general defaults these days for sound encoding is stereo, 44100 samples,
16 bit sound (CD Quality).

Reducing this to mono (1 channel or -c 1 , a flag I remember) will
nearly halve the size of the file.

Reducing the file to 22050 samples and 8 bit gets you a very acceptable
quality sound (the original SoundBlaster, pre SoundBlaster Pro), with
each setting nearly cutting the file size in half.

You have a potential of getting your sound file squashed down to
something around 8MB. As I recall, sampling 11000 at mono is quite
acceptable...  check the sound how-to about other settings that give
acceptable results.

Alvin