[Techtalk] Linux on NTFS?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Jan 11 19:06:27 EST 2006

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 19:31, mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org wrote:
> Hello, listmembers,
>
> Can Linux be loaded on an NTFS formatted drive?  I'm pretty sure RedHat
> can't, but I wanted to try Debian anyway.
>
> This woud be on a dual boot, dual drive box with Windows XP on the smaller
> drive and maybe using some disk space on the larger on.  I'd like to put
> Linux entirely on the larger one.

'Fraid not. Linux can read NTFS, and with some risk, write to it, but it won't
run on it. You have lots of other good choices- ext2/3, XFS, JFS, and
ReiserFS. But not NTFS.

If you want to set up a shared partition that both Windows and Linux can use,
FAT32 works fine. Or whip up a little Samba server, then you won't have to
bother with FAT32.