[Techtalk] Attachment stripping and storing for Mailman

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Dec 19 04:21:33 UTC 2006

On 17-Dec-06, at 5:22 PM, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006, Mary Gardiner wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any Mailman add-on that will strip non-text
>> attachments from a message, store them at a URL, and re-write the
>> message footer/attachments to provide that URL?[1]
>
> I basically want exactly what Barry Warsaw describes at
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3844:
>
> "...there is a project contributor who has implemented a MIME
> attachment
> scanner module which can be dropped into the pipeline. This module can
> strip attachments from the message, post the attachments to an
> external
> archive (either the file system or a WebDAV server) and then
> rewrite the
> outgoing message to include a URL to the attachment instead of the
> attachment text."
>
> Unfortunately he provides no link or name for this module.

I remember this being talked about, at some point, I think on the
mailman-developers list (although it may have been in private
conversation I had with someone), but I no longer remember who did it
or where to find it, unfortunately.

My quick search of the FAQ didn't turn it up.  Barry or one of the
mailman-developers or mailman-users list members might remember the
bit of code you're looking for, though.

  Terri