[Techtalk] sighup, kill -9, sigkill, and all those related things

Alex Smith alex at alexsmith.org
Fri Apr 14 17:29:19 EST 2006

Carla Schroder wrote:
> hey all,
>
> Is there a reference written in actual English that explains the kill command?
> 'man kill' is rather too terse to be useful to a noob.  I want to know what
> all the options mean, and when to use them. All these years of seeing
> mysterious references like "send a SIGHUP", well, it's time to learn what the
> silly things mean.
>
> thankee!

http://speculation.org/garrick/kill-9.html

Although not specifically about the different types, it does have a
little information, and might be worth looking at.

--
Alex Smith
alex at alexsmith.org
Key ID 0x7CD968A3
Tel (+44) 07738225231

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken