[Techtalk] sighup, kill -9, sigkill, and all those related things

MMP - Barb Fox mmp_fox at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 14 10:35:12 EST 2006

Like everyone has said, what the signals ACTUALLY do is up to the programmer
of the specific piece of code which are sending the kill signal.

kill -9,(ie. kill -KILL) is NOT trappable, but kill (i.e. kill -15,
ie. kill -TERM) is.

A nice programmer will include information in their man page as to what each
signal will do. For example, do a man on xinetd and search for the word SIG
(type in /SIG) .  Go up a couple lines and read the whole section. It will tell
you each signal that is trapped by xinetd and what each will do.

- Barb Fox
mmp_fox at bellsouth.net