[Techtalk] getting the time as a string in c

kristina clair kclair at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 05:05:53 EST 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to convert a simple perl script to c, only learning the
bare minimum of c that i need to. :)
The functions in time.h, however, are proving to be a bit much for me.
 Can anyone give me some advice?  I'm trying to get the current time
as a string.

What I have is:
    int timestrsize = 10;       /* max length of time string */
    char *timestring;
    char timeformat[2] = "%c";  /* format for time string */
    const struct tm *timeptr;

    size_t strftime(timestring, timestrsize, timeformat, timeptr);

gcc is complaining:
program.c: In function `main':
program.c:38: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

I have absolutely no idea what "const struct tm *timeptr" is doing...
the rest of it I think I understand at least somewhat.

I think before I had "char timestring[10];" instead of "char
*timestring;".  When that was the case, gcc didn't complain and the
program compiled, but running it produced a segmentation fault.

Thanks!
Kristina