[Techtalk] Mail copy on server question

Lisa Bogue lisab at bluesunsa.com
Mon Sep 12 10:30:53 EST 2005

On Sep 11, 2005, at 7:09 PM, Paul W wrote:

> Lisa Bogue wrote:
>
>> On Sep 11, 2005, at 12:14 PM, Paul W wrote:
>>> On a company mail server using Postfix & Mandriva 10.2, I would like
>>> to send a copy of any email coming in for one user to another user
>>> all done on the server. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>>

>> Hi Paul-
>> Have you already looked at using a mail alias for this?  Typically
>> with mail aliases you can do either of this type of delivery:
>> alias       delivered to
>> joe        jane
>> joe        joe, jane
> >
> Somehow it didn't occur to me it would be that easy ;-) This doesn't
> create a loop, huh?

I can only speak to what I know which is sendmail.  It doesn't create a
loop, just a very small mailing list.  I think the reason this works is
that every account has an alias on the system.  Once the alias expands,
the mail transport agent goes and looks for the mailbox that the alias
points to.  When I was postmaster at my previous job, we used to use
this configuration often for people who went on vacation and wanted
their email forwarded to their cell phone or something, but still
wanted a copy left on the server.  The only time a loop occurs is if
you have a situation like this:

myserver.com
joe	joe at yourserver.com

yourserver.com
joe	joe at myserver.com

Here, the servers will just keep bouncing this back and forth until one
of them complains about it and refuses to forward any more.