[Techtalk] Question about Software Suspend

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Oct 28 14:29:07 EST 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005, Akkana Peck wrote:
> On my Vaio SR17, Ubuntu's swsusp (I've only tried "Hoary" so far)
> works quite well, better than either the swsusp that's built in to
> the kernel or the swsusp2 patch.  I'm not sure what Ubuntu changed,
> but they've clearly put a lot of work into the default configuration
> and I didn't have to tweak much to get it to work (versus the other
> two, which required a lot of configuration and even so I never got
> them working right).  So if you have trouble setting it up, it might
> be worth trying Ubuntu before giving up.

It is also worth filing a bug against your laptop model in the Ubuntu
bugzilla if any of the suspend options don't work. Make sure you file it
against the "acpi-support" package. Matthew Garrett is their ACPI hacker
and he's putting an amazing amount of work into getting suspend and
hibernate working on as many laptops as he can. My partner's laptop (HP
nc6000) didn't suspend after Hoary and it turned out that a certain
device driver needed to be blacklisted in hotplug. ACPI support in
Ubuntu is one example where filing a bug can really make a difference to
your chances of getting the functionality you're after.

-Mary