[Techtalk] Question about Software Suspend

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Oct 28 14:22:22 EST 2005

Kathryn Andersen writes:
> suspend -- it says that one should tell the kernel the swap partition to
> use to suspend to.  Does that mean that one has to have *two* swap
> partitions -- one for normal swap, and the other for software suspend?
> Or do you just use the normal swap partition?

You just use the normal swap partition. In fact, it doesn't seem to
work to make a second swap partition that isn't used for swap, only
for swsusp; I tried that the first time I set it up and found out
that it would only suspend to an active swap partition.

I'm still not clear what happens if you're actually using more than
your RAM and have things swapped to that partition. (I've seen that
asked, and asked it myself, but never saw a straight answer.)
It seems like an odd design.

On my Vaio SR17, Ubuntu's swsusp (I've only tried "Hoary" so far)
works quite well, better than either the swsusp that's built in to
the kernel or the swsusp2 patch.  I'm not sure what Ubuntu changed,
but they've clearly put a lot of work into the default configuration
and I didn't have to tweak much to get it to work (versus the other
two, which required a lot of configuration and even so I never got
them working right).  So if you have trouble setting it up, it might
be worth trying Ubuntu before giving up.

	...Akkana