[Techtalk] MTRR info please

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Thu Oct 20 18:57:08 EST 2005

Hi Gebhard,

Thanks for replying!

> > recently (since using kernels 2.6.10 and above) I've been getting a
> > "no more MTRRs available" message at boot time, so I did a bit of
> > googling
>
> So with Kernel < 2.6.10 you didn't get the messages?

No - but I think that, rather than the kernel, it was actually later
versions of KDE. The messages, which I thought were happening at the
end of the boot process, were actually happening when KDE started up -
not the display manager, but the actual wm. I've noticed that when I
use a less hungry wm (I'm playing with ROX at the moment), the messages
either disappear or are greatly lessened - so I'm not so worried as I
was! I think I'm just using a box that isn't quite a high enough spec
for what I'm making it do.

> To me that sounded like: can't do anything but nothing to worry about
> anyway

Just as well... 8-)

Cheers!

--