[Techtalk] Problems running Redhat FC4 on Compaq DL360/G1 with SMP kernel

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 02:38:59 EST 2005

On 10/7/05, Bruce McPeek <brucem at vidiator.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on setting up a Compaq DL360 / G1 system (dual Xeon P3 @
> 1200 MHz). The installation defaults to trying to use a multi-proc
> kernel. When I try to boot the system with this kernel it will get as
> far as a message like "Unpacking system image" and hangs. It will boot
> with a single proc kernel however. The single proc kernel throws a
> couple of error messages about not being able to determine the AGP
> aperture size. This understandable because this machine does not have an
> AGP bus.
>
> My questions are....
>
> Is the boot messages captured in a log somewhere? I want to more
> accurately describe errors.

Usually on most distributions, /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages.
You can also get kernel msgs with 'dmesg'.

> Is it possible to run this system on a multi-proc kernel?

Dunno but the configuration doesn't sound overly exotic. You'd be
better off asking the fedora developers about this though, since it's
a highly technical problem.

> Can I configure Linux not to look for AGP and throw error messages? Also
> since this is a server, there is no sound hardware present. Can I
> configure the gnome GUI to not look for it so it stops popping an error
> when logging into the GUI that the volume control cannot find any sound
> hardware?

I'm not sure about the hardware support. Turning off AGP should be
semi-trivial. In all likelihood, the FC4 kernel has the AGP drivers as
modules and autoloads them in some way. (probably hotplug) So you need
to mess with hotplug or whatever it is using to stop it from trying to
load AGP. I'm not sure how and when the kernel looks for AGP though
since it does do some hardware probing automatically. You might just
have to put up with it (or hack the kernel) Wouldn't worry too much
about the warnings, they don't hurt.

greets,
Wim