[Techtalk] CVS question

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Sat Nov 26 11:49:43 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 13:28, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> Is there a way of preventing a particular user from making changes
> to a project?
>
> The scenario is this: we have a "general" user, used by the support
> people to do various tasks.  We also have our internal website under
> CVS.  I've just been put in charge of this.  One of the problems is
> that people use the "general" user to make updates to the website,
> when they should really be using their own logins.  Particularlly
> annoying is that whoever-it-is is doing things that they're not
> supposed to do, and I can't track them down to tell them to stop it.
>
> So is there a way to say, *automatically*, when they try to check in
> changes as this user, "sorry, you can't do that, try again logged in as
> yourself".

If the user who is currently logged in doesn't have filesystem
permissions to make a change, CVS will not make the change.

Depending on the connection method you're using, you can also use CVS'
internal system (pserver), or potentially Kerberos permissions.
The CVS 1.12 (unstable) release series has PAM support, but be warned
that it is the unstable.

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/