[Techtalk] chat booboo

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Nov 3 14:24:35 EST 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> Yesterday i found that xchat had logged onto this server and created
> two new channels on linuxchix called '#linux-india' and '#django',
> with me as op! This is purely inadvertent - whoever is in charge may
> please delete these

New channels can be created at any time simply by joining them.
Likewise, unless it's a registered channel, channels disappear
automatically when everyone leaves them. If you're the first person in a
channel and it's not known to any chnserv bot, it gets automatically
created and the first person in is the operator. Unless xchat actually
registered them with chanserv (which is highly unlikely), just leave the
channel. There's no such thing as "officially" deleting a channel. If
noone's in it, and it's not registered, it's gone.

Even if it was registered (you can check with chanserv by typing "/msg
chanserv info #linux-india" and it should reply "The channel
[#linux-india] is not registered") you can unregister it yourself (type
"/msg chanserv help" for help).

If some other person subsequently joins #linux-india, it will be created
anew and *they* will be the operator. (The whole reason chanserv exists
is so that for the 'known' channels this doesn't happen. But it's still
useful for founding new channels and for making transient channels.)

In summary, nothing to do.

-Mary