[Techtalk] ADSL NB5 gateway webserver problems

Almut Behrens almut-behrens at gmx.net
Tue May 31 08:09:32 EST 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 07:12:19AM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> Following up my own post...
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 06:12:15AM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 03:06:49PM +0200, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> > > Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > Okay, maybe one could set up the access control so that it listens for
> > the, say, 192.168.1.10 IP, but not the 192.168.1.11 IP, and then
> > disconnect one machine and connect the other when I wanted to configure
> > it -- except that I only have one machine.
>
> Well, I have been busy... I thought I could fake having another machine
> by using the quickswitch program to change the IP on the ethernet card,
> and tell the modem to allow access from one IP and not allow it from the
> other.  That only worked to a degree: yeah, it allowed access from one
> and disallowed access from the other -- but I still got the modem config
> page for "the other" -- it just wouldn't let me log in.
>
> So I think I shall just have to give up on the idea. (sigh)

Not exactly sure I understand what you're trying to achieve...
but if it's just that your webserver should be accessible via the URL
http://katspace.homelinux.org (both from within and from the outside),
then - if all else fails - I would just force katspace.homelinux.org
to resolve to 127.0.0.1 _internally_.  In it's most simple case by
adding an entry to /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1  katspace.homelinux.org

(assuming things are set up such that "files" is queried before DNS)

Everyone else won't know about your tweaked /etc/hosts, and all is as
it was before, for them ;)

This trick should suffice, if all you want is test your web site from
within (without substituting 'localhost' in absolute URLs) -- unless,
of course, you've hardcoded your real IP somewhere in the web pages.

But maybe what you really want is something completely different... (?)

Almut