[Techtalk] ADSL NB5 gateway webserver problems

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Mon May 30 23:06:49 EST 2005

Kathryn Andersen wrote:

>This is my setup - I'm going into detail because I have no idea what is
>causing the problem:
>ADSL modem: NetComm NB5
>PC is attached to modem via ethernet.
>Modem is configured to treat PC as a DMZ.
>Domain (with static IP): katspace.homelinux.org (courtesy of dyndns.org)
>Webserver: Apache
>Linux: GenToo 2005.0 (recently updated)
>Firewall: shorewall
>IP address of modem: 192.168.1.1
>IP address of ethernet card: 192.168.1.11
>Gateway of PC is the IP address of the modem.
>
>This is my problem: My website at http://katspace.homelinux.org
>*is* visible to the outside world.  But it isn't visible to me.
>When I use that URL (and *also* when I use the actual static IP address
>shown to the outside world) I get the ADSL-modem-setup page.

<snip>

I strongly suspect you have done port forwarding to get http from the
modem to the PC. Now when you try to access
http://katspace.homelinux.org you access the http port of the modem (its
the modem that actually has this IP address on its public port) from the
inside. Which is where it is listening on to be configured, thus you get
its configuration screen.

By the way, considering how port forwarding works, even if it would not
give you its config screen, you still would not get your website:
packets would simply be dropped, as there would be no configured route.

Before having ADSL the dyndns actually pointed to the machine itself (or
rather, the telephone dial in connection, which is logically on the PC
itself. Now this address points to the ADSL modem/router combo, and not
to your PC anymore

Good luck,

Rudy
(Who just spent 2 hours working out some iproute2 problem)