[Techtalk] ADSL NB5 gateway webserver problems

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Mon May 30 21:25:15 EST 2005

I've just got myself an ADSL connection, and I'm having a wierd problem;
I've just spent the last two hours trying to figure it out, and talking
to tech support at my ISP and them finally saying those dreaded words
"We don't support Linux". (sigh)

This is my setup - I'm going into detail because I have no idea what is
causing the problem:
ADSL modem: NetComm NB5
PC is attached to modem via ethernet.
Modem is configured to treat PC as a DMZ.
Domain (with static IP): katspace.homelinux.org (courtesy of dyndns.org)
Webserver: Apache
Linux: GenToo 2005.0 (recently updated)
Firewall: shorewall
IP address of modem: 192.168.1.1
IP address of ethernet card: 192.168.1.11
Gateway of PC is the IP address of the modem.

This is my problem: My website at http://katspace.homelinux.org
*is* visible to the outside world.  But it isn't visible to me.
When I use that URL (and *also* when I use the actual static IP address
shown to the outside world) I get the ADSL-modem-setup page.

Any other URL works fine, it's only my own machine that I can't get to.

Oh, I can access the website via http://localhost/ but before I had ADSL
and I was using the same domain with a dynamic IP, I could access it via
katspace.homelinux.org and it worked.  So there must be something about
the ADSL setup which is doing this.

This is the output of traceroute:

# traceroute katspace.homelinux.org
traceroute to dsl-202-173-183-92.vic.westnet.com.au (202.173.183.92), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  dsl-202-173-183-92.vic.westnet.com.au (202.173.183.92)  0.899 ms 0.611 ms  0.566 ms

I thought I'd try to log in to the modem via ssh (because it apparently
supports that) but the "admin" user which works on the web interface isn't
recognised by the ssh interface.  The modem does recognise "root", but I
don't have the root password for the device, and haven't been able to
figure it out.

Help?

Kathryn Andersen
(baffled in Melbourne)